WICD - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Unofficial Policies for Residents

CAMPUSTOWN-- "I think the main message we want to get out right now is to drive slowly when driving through campus area, watch for pedestrian traffic. We have seen a few cases of intoxicated subjects and motorists need to be really careful when traveling on campus," says Rene Dunn of the Champaign Police Department.

Kirsten Ruby, the University's Assistant Director of Housing, says, "In university housing, students who live with us are not allowed to have guests over this weekend, so that means that anyone who doesn't live with the university of Illinois is not allowed in our residence halls this weekend."

Snow flurries and freezing temperatures did little to keep the crowds away from green street during unofficial this year. Police and university officials have several policies in place to keep not only participants safe, but non-participants as well. "This is a several-year old policy. It has lots of different uses: One is to help our residents who choose not to participate in unofficial, they don't have to deal with it. Another is that it's trying to keep other students safe."

Several thousand people come to the university each year. The University says they are the ones who cause most of the trouble; nearly two thirds of those arrested last year were not U of I students. "Our residents are very compliant with this policy but we've found however that students from other universities would come to campus and think that they could just walk into a residence hall and maybe sleep in the lounge for a few hours. So they may not even know someone who goes here."

Regardless of who needs assistance, public safety is the primary focus for the cooperating police departments: Says Dunn, "Also we want to issue a message to participants: If they see that their peers are suffering from alcohol poisoning or other serious alcohol-related injuries, to get some help for them. Call 911and get an ambulance out there, and I think that's the main message we want to get out today.

Adam Rife reporting