Meijer: Fourth of July Cookout
“4th of July Cookout”
Maribel Alchin, MBA, RD, LDN, Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Advisor
For more recipes visit www.meijerhealthyliving.com
Roll out the red, white, and blue for a patriotic 4th of July celebration. Invite friends and family and delight them with a tasty cookout.
4th of July Menu
Red, White, and Blue Salsa
Vietnamese Pork Sliders
Dole Spring Mix Salad
Strawberry, Pineapple & Melon Salad
Red, White & Blue Salsa
Makes 3 cups
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup diced strawberries
1 cup diced jicama
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp. finely chopped jalapeño pepper
Juice of 1 large lime
Salt, to taste
Meijer Multigrain Tortilla Chips, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, strawberries, jicama, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, and lime juice. Stir until well combined. Season with salt, to taste. Serve with tortilla chips at room temperature or chilled.
Note: Salsa is also great with grilled chicken or fish.
Recipe adapted from http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/blueberry-strawberry-jicama-salsa
Vietnamese Pork Sliders
2 tbsp. Meijer Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. barbecue sauce or hoisin sauce-(in ethnic aisle)
1 (1 ¼-lb.) All Natural Pork Tenderloin*
1 (12 oz.) bag Mann’s Rainbow Salad-(mix of cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, red cabbage)
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup agave nectar
1/8 tsp. McCormick® Cayenne Pepper
2 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise or Meijer Nonfat Greek yogurt
1 Wheat French bread, cut in 3-inch pieces or 4 Multigrain Sub Rolls, cut in half from Meijer bakery
1 cucumber, peeled, halved and sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch strips
8 cilantro sprigs
Jalapeño pepper sliced (optional)
1. In a large resealable plastic bag combine soy sauce, sesame oil and barbecue sauce or hoisin sauce. Add pork; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes or overnight, turning bag occasionally.
2. For the slaw, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, agave nectar, cayenne, and salt to taste. Pour over cabbage-carrot mixture; toss to coat. Set aside until serving time.
3. Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high (350°F to 400°F). Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade. Grill pork 5 to 6 minutes per side or until an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F. Transfer to a cutting board. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut pork against the grain into thin slices.
4. Spread mayonnaise or Greek yogurt on cut sides of buns. Top with cucumber slices and ¼ cup of the slaw (well-drained). Top with pork slices, cilantro sprigs and (if desired) jalapeño pepper slices. Transfer to a platter, and serve.
Recipe adapted from 2014 July/August Meijer Healthy Living Naturally booklet
Nutrition Information (per serving): 225 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 18g protein
Serve with Dole Spring Mix Salad
Use caution when handling hot peppers. Wear disposable gloves or wash hands in hot, soapy water afterward.
Note: The slaw can be made up to 4 hours prior to making the sliders. Refrigerate until serving time.
*All Natural Pork- No artificial ingredients, No preservatives, Antibiotic free, No added hormones, Vegetarian fed
Tuesday, July 1 2014, 06:08 AM CDT